Hiking with kids can be a lot of fun. Starting kids hiking young is a great way to build their endurance and love for the outdoors, but you can start at any age. The Whitefish area is near many trails. A nice hike makes a good day trip from most resorts. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Make safety a priority - always let someone know where your going and when you plan to be back.
- Always carry a first aid kid and a fire starter kit - whistles and fireproof match are also a good idea.
- Bring plenty of water - keep extra in the car for the return trip in case you run out on the trail.
- Take a map and a compass - know how to use them.
- Take many snacks - it helps to let the kids help prepare the snacks so everyone gets something they like.
- Invest in good shoes - make sure to wear them in on a few short hikes before you try anything serious.
- Plan for frequent stops - play a scavenger hunt game, ask kids to find things on a list while they walk.
- Dress in layers - adults should plan on carring everything back
- Enjoy the moments
- It's ok to get dirty
Find the perfect family vacation resort or hotel here: https://whitefish.org/where-to-stay/