In the land of lakes, what's more Minnesotan than fishing on vacation? A great variety of fish call the Whitefish Chain of Lakes Region home, such as blue gills, crappie, walleye, northern pike and large mouth bass. Lake trout are being stocked annually into Trout Lake. Learn more about how to identify fish from the MN DNR. We also ask that you comply with the Minnesota laws regarding invasive species. Please clean all recreational equipment at the water's edge.
Everything from the worms to a guide are available in the Whitefish Area to help you hook into a memorable fishing experience. Check with your lodging property before your arrival, as they may sell live bait. Minnesota fishing licenses are available online and at area bait shops. Find everything about fishing in Minnesota from the DNR's new fishing website -- www.mndnr.gov/fishmn. Also ask your lodging host for their recommendations on experienced area fishing guides, or the best place to drop your line.
Fishing Report for
The Whitefish Area
Here's a great video on how to filet a northern so the Y-bones are not an issue.
Interactive Water Trails Map
Getting around afloat just got easier. The Minnesota DNR's interactive water trails map includes all 32 State Water Trails, in addition to public water accesses and campsites along each route. The map makes it easy to zoom, search, and pan and to find and print information about facilities.
- Springtime Crappies — Read more
- What's my line? Matching the Right Line to Fishing Conditions — Read more
- Fishing Guides Share Memories — Read more
- Early Season Largemout Bass — Read more
- Muskie Fishing
- 3-D Walleyes
- Walleyes, walleyes, walleyes: Minnesota's state fish all the range at Pine River egg-stripping station (link includes video of process)
- WAPOA, DNR project aims to improve walleye spawning in Hay Creek
- New Tackle, Ticks to Try This Season
- Don't Move a Mussel (preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species)
- Fishing Small Lakes for Big Fish and Big Fun
- It's Hip to Wade (bass fishing)
- Rapala — Lure Development Comes from Boat Seats Around the World
- Don't Fight the Bite (walleye fishing)
Stories courtesy of Outdoor Traditions (Brainerd Dispatch) or the Lake Country Echo